The name Stalybridge derives from 'Staef' - a stave - and 'leah' - a clearing in the wood, the full meaning of 'Staley' being 'a wood where staves are collected'. The 'bridge' was added a century later.
Prior to 1750, the population of Stalybridge was sparse. Between 1700-1750 the villagers numbered no more than 140 at any one time, earning a living in a dual capacity as farmers and weavers.
They lived in cottages such as those still existing at 'Bohemia', in the area of Stalybridge known as 'Cocker Hill' , constructed in 1721. Some of them would have had loom-house attached where as many as six to eight spinners worked to supply one weaver.
The Saddleback Bridge built in 1707, which replaced earlier versions, still stands over the River Tame. The bridge across the river enabled travellers to pass from the parish of Ashton-under-Lyne to the parish of Mottram in Longdendale.
Stayley Hall was erected in 1343 and 1745 The Stavelegh family were Lords of the Manor. John Wesley preached at Stayley Hall. Over the last century, the hall became derelict and has since been re-developed into new housing.
The Industrial Revolution
The town of Stalybridge was the creation of the Industrial Revolution. In 1776 came the event that was to lead to the development of Stalybridge as a town - COTTON!
Cotton manufacture in the village was growing rapidly, and more water-powered mills were being built along the local steams as well as along the river.
Stalybridge begins to grown and flourish. In 1809, the Stalybridge Old Band was established, and in 1823, the arrival of a Manual Fire Engine was presented to the town by the Phoenix Fire Office.
In 1831, the Town Hall and New Market were commissioned by Proclamation and the first satisfactory census was taken. The population was 14,216 and inhabited houses - 2,357.
One of the main contributors to the town still continues to this day....Stalybridge Old Band. Click the link below to visit their fantastic website that tells you more about how they have developed and what the future continues to hold for them.
In 1838, foundations stones were laid for the churches of St. Paul's, Stayley, St. George's, the Hague and St. Peters Catholic Church.
The Holy Trinity Church laid its corner stone in 1851, and in 1861 the Congregational Church opened. This area (pictured below) has now been re-developed into housing.
In 1868, the New Victorian Market Hall opened, and the foundation stone for the Public Swimming Baths was laid by Mr. Robert Platt.
The Slipper Baths and Swimming Pools were used by the local community for personal washing as many homes did not have any internal bathrooms, so local people would go along and pay and use the facilities. This was still in use in the 1970's.
The Iron Bridge over Melbourne Street opened in 1834, and in 1867 the Victoria Bridge from Market Street to Trinity Street was erected.
Water from the Brushes reservoir began to supply Stalybridge and Stamford Park opened in 1873, with the opening of the boating lake to follow in 1894.
In 1870, the first brass band contest was held in Stalybridge.
In 1881, the laying of the first tramways to Ashton commenced, and horsedrawn tramcars first ran from Stalybridge to Ashton, the cost for the fare was 2d. (that was the currency used in the days before pounds and pence, also known as decimalisation).
In 1901, the Astley Cheetham Public Library opened to the public and the General Post Office on Trinity Street opened for public use.
In 1902, the construction of the electric tramways commenced.
In 1905, the New Fire Station on Waterloo Road opened, and in 1910 the school on Waterloo Road opened.
In 1776 Neddy Hall built the first cotton mill in Lancashire. It stood in Wood Street, Stalybridge, near the Bus Station.
At that time Ashton-Under-Lyne extended as far as the River Tame. Then he used the carding process, it was water-powered and the spinning was done by hand.
In 1798, Hall made history again when he put the first steam engine into his mill. He was the first to use steam power in a Lancashire mill. Neddy Hall is buried at the top of the churchyard, beside the foundations of the old St. Georges church (this has long since been demolished) - Access to the graveyard is via the 'Bohemia' cottages.
Five years later, Messrs. Lees, Cheetham and Co. put a much larger engine into their mill, namely Cheetham's Mill - by the side of Cheethams Park - and the Industrial Revolution really got underway. The newly built local canals - the Huddersfield, Ashton and Peak Forest - and the new turnpike road to Huddersfield provided transport facilities, and nearby coal mines ensured power supplies.
In 1927, West Hill, a central school for boys was opened. The Girls central school opened in 1930, and in 1932, the Central Girls
School Grey Street Playing Fields opened, along with Cheethams Park.
In 1946, the town was visited by Their Majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, and in 1955 and agreement was formed to link the two towns of Stalybridge and Armentieres.
In 1976, a new secondary modern school was built at Copley. This replaced the Central Girls School on Waterloo Road.
This is now Copley Academy.